Tamar Yonah Show

INTERVIEWS WITH THE MOVERS AND SHAKERS OF ISRAEL AND THE JEWISH WORLD.
BITING AND EXHILARATING RADIO!

LISTEN LIVE
- Sunday 8-10am NY, 3-5pm Israel - Weekend Edition w/Malkah Fleisher
- Monday 12-1am NY, 7-8am Israel - w/Prof. Paul Eidelberg
- Tuesday 12-1am NY, 7-8am Israel - In Depth Interview
- Wednesday 12-1am NY, 7-8am Israel - TnT: Tovia & Tamar

Sunday, May 13, 2007

Eurovision - Where's the Popcorn?

This blog entry will take a side track from the usual serious stuff.

I just wanted to make a comment on the once a year TV fest I do when I make pop corn and sit in front of the TV and watch the Eurovision Song Contest.

This is where all the countries in Europe and even some parts of the former Soviet Union, Turkey, and Israel compete for the best song. (Israel has won this contest at least three times, once, twice in a row.)

I usually like to sit and watch the glitz and fanfare, and the thousands of people in the audience with their respective flags waving. But MOSTLY, while watching the performances, I sit and laugh with my family and give them NEGATIVE points. Most of the songs are pretty awful, and some of these languages sound really funny when you are not familiar with them. Ok, I know they don't have a fair advantage because most of Europe prefers English or French, but it is funny seeing ballads, pop, punk-rocker and heavy metal songs sung in Turkish or Slavic languages.

This year the contest was held in Helsinki, Finland, because their entry from last year's contest won. I wrote about their winning song in a previous blog entry. This year, Israel was nixed from the competition. We didn't make it to their finals, and there was also a big scandal about our song being too 'political' because it's lyrics spoke about the terror and nuclear threats against Israel.

This year's winner was from Serbia. The entry was called, Molitva or in English, "Prayer". The only problem is, I couldn't figure out if the lead singer was a man or a woman. (Look at the bigger photo above, the one in the suit with the mic in the hand. You tell me.... Hard to tell, man or woman?


I at first thought it was a man, only afterwards when I found out the singer's name was Maria (Maija) did I understand this was a woman.

I just don't know... now that I know this is a woman, I think she looks like a 'manly' Rosie O'Donnell .
Don't you think?
I have to say, that I usually sit and have fun giving points to countries, but I wasn't committed this year to the yearly fanfare.

1) Israel was not in the competition, so it wasn't as interesting.

2) The singing was pretty bad this year. The songs may have been ok, but I think the singers were nervous. They held the contest in a giant stadium, and it seemed like their whole population was there.

Finland has a smaller population than Israel. From Wikipedia -- "Finland currently numbers 5,282,583 inhabitants and has an average population density of 17 inhabitants per square kilometre.[1] This makes it, after Norway and Iceland, the most sparsely populated country in Europe.


A lot of the lead singers must have been very nervous singing in front of the large audience. They were real 'pitchy - off tune'. I kept thinking what Simon Cowell would say after their song was over. And so I went to watch America Idol which was on at the same time here in Israel, as the Eurovision broadcast. American Idol has a lot better singers than the BEST of Europe's entries in Eurovsion.
I think we need Simon Cowell to produce the Eurovision Song Contest. It needs some real good critic's eyes, and it would be a lot more entertaining. I think he would beat me on giving out negative points! Hey, where's the popcorn? To watch the video of the Winning Song from Serbia, click HERE.

Oh, and for just some self-depreciation - cause this WAS funny,,,, a cartoon someone sent to Tovia, who (of course) sent it to me - to give me a 'dig'. But I think it is brilliant! It shows the 'score board' of how many times Tovia is right vs yours truly. Of course, his tally is wrong, (He only gave me two points) but in reality, I am the one who is always right on that show, (wink) but I loved the effort of this fan. Oh, and thanks Tovia!!!!

Cartoon by: David Espurvoa, and he signed his email: Goy Christian in Muskego
Thanks David!

UPDATE! (May 15, Tuesday)
A listener of ours at Israel National Radio, Dan. L from Israel, sent this 'revised' cartoon. He claims he has writer's block, and can't think of anything funnier.... so I am opening up the comments for YOUR additions. MAKE up a caption for this cartoon below... (Fill in your quote for the text-bubble). It can be either pro-Tovia or pro-Tamar.
I will send the winner for the BEST NEW caption a free music CD of Jewish and Israeli music. I will post the winner on this site, so check back in a few days.


MAKE up a caption for this cartoon!

16 Comments:

  • At Sunday, May 13, 2007 9:26:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    what to expect from Europe. Secular and burying their heads in the sand still. Proclamation after proclamation against Israel in the U.N. Caught your show it sickens me what the U.S. gov. is doing in boycott with E.U. I think of men like that2 Timothy This know also, that in the last days perilous times shall come. For men shall be lovers of their own selves,covetous, boasters,proud, blasphemers,disobedient to parents,unthankful,unholy, Without natural affection,trucebreakers,false accusers,incontinent,fierce, despisers of those that are good,Traitors,heady,highminded, lovers of pleasures more than lovers of G-d,Having a form of g-dliness but denying the power thereof;from such turn away. I wrote our pres. 2yrs ago reminded him of standing with Israel as Israeli land and of U.S. ever increasing sins all I got back was Letter of political correctness. People should see clearly nationalism does not mean g-dliness or holiness nor what is right. Just passed a law on west coast against speaking out against somethings a hate crime, I wonder how much longer it'll be til it will be a hate crime of standing with Israel here. amen Ms. Fleicher Happy Mothers Day to ya Tamar.

     
  • At Monday, May 14, 2007 5:56:00 AM, Blogger Witch-king of Angmar said…

    Tamar, the joke here in Serbia is that Marija was granted a win so that she could dodge the military draft. :-))) Still, I believe after a flood of Britneys and Jessica Simpsons this is the lesser evil, so to speak.

    If you liked the song here are the versions in English, Russian and Finnish(!) respectively.

    http://ww1.rts.co.yu/euro/molitva/engleski.mp3
    http://ww1.rts.co.yu/euro/molitva/ruski.mp3
    http://ww1.rts.co.yu/euro/molitva/finski.mp3

     
  • At Monday, May 14, 2007 4:42:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    LOL...good stuff Tamar, thank you for sharing :o) Oh and to the guy who made the picture, very neat! Tamar and Tovia might have to call a truce soon, LOL!! Hey melinda lehan..I hear you, very sad but true. Melinda, I called home land in-security and the FBI the other day to report "suspicious activity" and they gave me a recording to leave a message...3 days later, still no one called me back, how does that grab ya! Maybe it is also becomming a hate crime to report anything, at the fear of giving a voice to "Islamaphobes" like me. But how can one be suprised? If the United States government is stupid enough to appease the enemy while expecting Israel to do the same..(not to mention all the other twisted things going on in this country and abroad) what can one expect I guess? To get a mind set of what is developing here in the states look at the article/link below...I don't know what the people in charge of America or Israel's sovreignty are thinking? I guess to say we are at war with Islam is 'politically uncorrect" http://www.canadafreepress.com/2007/paul-williams051107.htm ....Also, the following link really makes ya think, especially what is relayed in the last two paragraphs of article, see link.. http://www.worldnetdaily.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=55683

     
  • At Wednesday, May 16, 2007 12:24:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Tamar, stella here.
    I saw that cartoon, and only this came to my mind:
    Tovia saying (gleefully): Ahhhhahhhhahahahhahaahhahah. Get behind me Tamar, every one BEHIND me NOOOWWW!!! I am going to Poooooooooosh the button... hahahaaaaahahah .
    BANG!
    :( Tovia: "Tamar, it was just my toy gun:("

     
  • At Wednesday, May 16, 2007 3:50:00 AM, Blogger gorin002 said…

    i am allways right
    cause haschem is with me
    and in torah page 6.
    hey is that tamar.i hear something
    okay tamar mic just broke
    in tora page 6 say.........

     
  • At Wednesday, May 16, 2007 5:15:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Tovia says," I love you! Do you love me?"

     
  • At Wednesday, May 16, 2007 10:37:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Tamar: Are you going to let me on the air?

    Tovia: The air is hot enough - I just gave a talk on Olmert, the wilderness years

     
  • At Wednesday, May 16, 2007 12:59:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    How the State Department keeps score:)

     
  • At Wednesday, May 16, 2007 1:35:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    caption:
    "I can't believe she falls for it, ofcourse I know whats really going on"
    Marie

     
  • At Wednesday, May 16, 2007 7:41:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    "Tamar, this is not a game of spin the spline."

     
  • At Wednesday, May 16, 2007 7:42:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    "Tamar, this is not a game of spin the spline."

     
  • At Thursday, May 17, 2007 12:36:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    In the 2nd cartoon it only shows that tovia needs to keep a boards up to remember to say someting intelligent...figures!

     
  • At Thursday, May 17, 2007 5:41:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Attention all shmecky jews:

    I am running for Prime Minister, but I need your help raising funds. For $1,000.00 I will concede that Tamar is always right

     
  • At Thursday, May 17, 2007 9:04:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Tovia: Tomar is hot but that Condy Rice really gets my motor running!!!!

     
  • At Friday, May 18, 2007 6:06:00 AM, Blogger nilo de roock said…

    caption:
    "... don't touch the dial..."

     
  • At Friday, May 18, 2007 6:33:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    What Tovia is saying in cartoon:
    "Oy Tamar, you know Quality is worth more than Quantity!"
    Submitted by:
    Tom Lavin
    119 Palm Harbour Blvd.
    Panama City Beach, FL 32408

     

Post a Comment

<< Home